My Ohio Bobcats play the University of North Carolina Tar Heels in the Sweet 16 round of the NCAA Tournament today. Besides the fact that North Carolina has a very good basketball program, I know next to nothing about the school itself, so I did a little research. Here are 10 facts Bobcat fans and other folks might not know about UNC.
1. The University of North Carolina was founded in 1795 and several of the school’s original professors still teach in the English Department
2. Undergrads at this celebrated eclectic university can obtain a bachelor’s degree in Music Theory Theory, which is the study of the study of music theory
3. Notable alumni include John Edwards, Bernie Madoff and Joseph Stalin
4. A “Tar Heel” is a southern colloquialism for “Fop” or “Dandy”
5. The most popular book in the university’s library system, according to the official data, is “Miles to Go” by Miley Cyrus
6. The University of North Carolina Board of Trustees meets annually at Bojangle’s Famous Chicken ‘n Biscuits
7. It might shock you to learn that the University of North Carolina has never defeated Duke in a men’s basketball game
8. The school president’s name is Clam Bone
9. The UNC fight song includes the words “just give it a good try” and “our uniforms sure are neat”
10. The famous Old Well in the middle of campus contains the skeletons of several curious children
Now you know a little bit more about the University of North Carolina.